Saturday, November 24, 2012

CWA: A Puurrfect Day with Kiwi



Nothing by green grass, rolling hills and beautiful flowers surround you. Ah, paradise. Such a change from the majestic adventure you had in outer space yesterday to this beautiful meadow.  While unfathomable visions of wonder had surrounded you yesterday you are now in a place of peace and beauty. You wonder where you are. This morning you had awakened to find yourself in this meadow. An elaborate brunch had been laid out before you and the other passengers. Tasha and Dalton had materialized before all of you as if they had been beamed down in some Star Trek episode. Could the ship actually have a transporter device? Would the wonders of this cruise ship ever cease to amaze you? After breakfast Tasha led the women while Dalton led the men to large building on the edge of the meadow. There you found your shower supplies and a change of clothes. You quickly prepared for the day then rejoined the group. You had always loved to camp and found the facilities better than those at a state or national park. 

"Our tour guide should be joining us shortly. Please feel free to explore the meadow in the meantime. Be certain not to stray too far away," Tasha says then walks towards you. You watch the others mill around then turn your attention to the beautiful African American woman before you dressed in a simple sundress, highlighting her well toned body. 

"No uniform today," you ask Tasha.

"I wanted to enjoy the sun."

"Where are we?"

"Ugh, uh. It's top secret. You have your rank but not the clearance. What have you learned so far?"

"The future looks very interesting."

"Don't play games with me. The thief struck again last night. He or she stole something from the ship we had visited yesterday."

"Hmm, I'm a little confused, Tasha. How can it be yesterday when yesterday we were in the future. If it was stolen yesterday but was in the future does that mean it hasn't happened yet? And if it happened in the future then how do you know about it? Are you psychic?"

"Not funny! We received a message from the Black Eagle late last night after we jumped her demanding the return of the missing item."

"What was stolen?"

"A blue Martian crystal from the chandelier and the culprit had possibly taken some pictures. I want to know who this person is."

"Of course. I have narrowed down my list to ten families."

"Good, and they are?"

"Now, Tasha, why would I tell you who I suspect when I haven't completed my investigation? I believe we have a tour to take." 

"That we do." 



A kitty good day to you all and welcome to this stop on your cruise. Mew! Don’t look up there… look down here… yes, I’m down here. Lower! Yep, this is me, the little black cat looking up at you. Please don’t faint… oh, well, maybe sit down for a second. People don’t worry, don’t be scared. I’m just a cat. My name is Kiwi and I’m your guide today. Don’t look so surprised. Yes, I can talk. Yes, you can understand me. No, you’re not dreaming. Mew! I’m going to show you around my home – Cat City.
First of all, you can’t go any further looking like that. To take you to my world, we’re going to have to change a few things. No, it’s not that you’re not properly dressed… your dress is fine… it’s just that things need to be a little different. I’ll show you. Follow me across this field to those tall trees over there. Come on, what are you waiting for?

Here we are. Just copy me and concentrate. It’s easy. You’ll feel yourself floating and then you won’t quite recognise yourself! You may have noticed that my fur flickers with purple in the sun – that’s my magic. Now come with me to somewhere wonderful. One, two, three, a flick of your imaginary tail, make a purr, a leap, and away we go…

Hello again everyone… glad you all – well, most of you – felt brave enough to follow. When the purple mist clears, look down at your feet and behind you! See, you’ve got fur, paws and a tail! Make a walk like this – one, two. Stick your tail up straight and feel all those new sensations from your whiskers! I’ll give you a few minutes to get the hang of walking, and your purrs and mews, and then we’ll go.

Ready? Purrfect. Run with me to that clump of bluebells – come on, scamper! You’re faster now and you can jump! I’m going to walk around the bluebells three times and I’m going to vanish into a purple mist, but don’t worry, just follow again…

Hello again! Now we’re altogether, race with me towards the tunnel ahead. Come on! We should hurry! Look at all of the tiles inside. Aren’t they wonderful? The floor, ceiling and walls are covered with blue and white mosaics of tiny cats. The eyes will glow to light the way. Right, now I’m just going to knock on this small purple door. Don’t be afraid when it vanishes! This is the way in.

Hello Georgy! Friends, this is the catizen who guards the city. All cats are called catizens here. Georgy, I’ve brought some visitors to show around. A kitty good day to you! Come on everybody, follow me. Yes, wow – I echo your thoughts. Isn’t Cat City beautiful?

I think your human world – where I live some of the time – is grey compared to our city. Cat City shines, and our sun is orangey and very bright. It makes everything glisten. See the road – it’s paved with blue and white mosaics of cats and paws. You’ll notice how everything is all catizen size, even the cars. Instead of four wheels, our catcars have four paws, which run really fast when the vehicle starts up. We don’t have roofs so the cats’ heads stick out – don’t laugh!

If you look along the street, you’ll see lots of different shops – Cat Tools, Meow Café, Insurance in a Whisker and Paws for Thought, to name a few. Some of the catizens wear clothes, such as boots, waistcoats and even hats, but it’s not necessary, so don’t worry that you are all fur nude!

Here is the Catema, our only film theatre, owned by Mr Eastwood. It’s showing The Big Cat of the Rings, For a Few Kitties More and Furrlight. Meow Market is always busy and if you are hungry we could pop into Purrfect Mouse Burgers later. They are offering an all-you-can-eat buffet. Okay, maybe mice aren’t appealing. Sorry. But, I recommend the grass shake. Over there you can see the pink windows of Kitty Parlour where some ladycats are being combed, washed and dried.
I’d like to introduce you to a kitty good friend of mine and then we can all go for some ice cream at one of my favourite places, the Cat that Got the Cream. We just need to walk this way for about ten minutes...

Here we are. This is the biggest building in Cat City. As you can see, the top is lost in the clouds. I know what you’re thinking – it looks grey and boring. It is the only building with no colour. This is Cat Crime, our police station and investigative agency. If you look closely, you’ll see a little knocker on the grey door – bright red and shaped like a cat’s eye. The friend I’d like you to meet works here. He should be around somewhere. Ah! Here he is! Inspector Furrball! It’s kitty nice to see you, my dear friend. Now let me introduce you to our visitors. They’ve come a long way.




What is the Kiwi Series?

The Kiwi Series is written for readers aged 9 up. They follow the adventures of a magical cat called Kiwi and her two human friends, Amy and James. With a flick of her tail, Kiwi magically changes the two children into kittens and takes them to her other home, Cat City, and to other new worlds inhabited by animals. So far, there are five books, beginning with Kiwi in Cat City.

Who is Vickie Johnstone?

Vickie Johnstone lives in London, where she works as a freelance sub-editor on magazines and an editor/proofreader on books. She has a thing about fluffy cats and also loves reading, writing, films, the sea, art, nature, Milky Bar and travelling. She has written 10 books.

In 2011, Vickie self-published the following: Kaleidoscope (119 poems); Travelling Light (free poetry); Kiwi in Cat City (Kiwi Series book 1); Kiwi and the Missing Magic (book 2); and Kiwi and the Living Nightmare (book 3).

The Kiwi books now have illustrations by Nikki McBroom.
Titles published so far in 2012 are: Day of the Living Pizza (free comedy horror for ages 10 up); Life’s Rhythms (316 haiku); 3 Heads and a Tail (romantic comedy for NaNoWriMo); and Kiwi and the Serpent of the Isle (Kiwi Series book 4). Coming soon is Kiwi in the Realm of Ra (book 5).

You can connect with Vickie at:

Blog and links:

Sales links:

Amazon US author page:
Amazon UK book page:




CONTEST
Vickie will be giving away three sets of the complete Kiwi series in ebook format. 

HOW DO I ENTER TO WIN?
Answer the question below in the comments and you could win. Winners will be announced December 1, 2012.


 If you could be any animal for a day which would you chose and why?




8 comments:

  1. Always wonderful to see Kiwi again! I'm a huge fan of Kiwi, all his friends regardless of species, and his magical world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed! But I'm curious - which animal?!!!!! :)

      Delete
    2. If you could be any animal for a day which would you chose and why?

      A wolf! Just so I could get an intimate inside knowledge into the species I love more than anything else.

      Delete
    3. I should have guessed your answer on this one ! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the tour of your city, Kiwi. I really enjoyed my visit! If I could be any animal for a day, I would be a bird, so I could fly around and see the sights from above. Hopefully you wouldn't catch me and eat me, Kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for entering. I'd love to be a bird too. I'd pick eagle or dolphin, so it's funny that you and Yvonne went for those! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kiwi. Since I would only be that animal for a day I would be a dolphin. I love water and swimming. If i were a dolphin I would have such a ball swimming and doing tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for entering. My fave animal is a dolphin. I watched a programme where they were taught sign language. They're so intelligent. Love them.

      Delete